Old July 2nd 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Sad bitty news

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 1, 8:49 pm,
wrote:

When I was in America, I was horrendous. They don't let you hold
your own animals for treatment there and often take them out of the
exam room into the prep area for procedures.

..
Jo Firey wrote
Our vets do most everything in front of us. Exceptions would be
installing
microchips and usually drawing blood. Those I'd guess are to prevent the
owner from passing out on the floor.

As far as holding your animal for treatment, I'd agree the vet should be
allowed to use their own judgment. As to the ability of the owner as
well
as the disposition of the patient.

Jo

We are in the USA. Our experience has been more like Jo's. What
leaparduswei (do you have an actual name you'd be kind enough to
share) has described has not be our experience except with one (new)
vet recently. We've never had a vet refuse to have us there for the
few euthanasias we've had to have done. We've never been refused to
take our pets home afterward and were not charged for any kind of a
box. We were there when Rosie and Cinder got microchipped. We've
been there for blood drawing. We've been there for exams and Cinder's
nail trimming, When Moxie (RB) went in for an ultrasound, I held her
while the vet tech shaved her belly and held her on her back on the
table while the vet performed the ultra sound. This includes vets in
several areas of the country. However, the new vet we took them to
since we've been back in Texas is the exception, Although her
location is very convenient, we are seriously considering going back
to the vet we had when we were here before just because we like to be
there (except for surgeries) with our cats. Also, I don't know about
other countries, but here in the U.S. we consider speaking our mind a
cherished right. This includes questioning someone who provides us a
service and going elsewhere if we don't like the treatment.

Leaparduswei, I'm sorry that you had a terrible experience. This is a
huge country. It's difficult to make a blanket statement based on one
vet's policy. I hope you will understand that the treatment you
received is not necessarily the norm here.

Annie

Well said, Annie!

My current vet does take my cats out of the exam room to draw blood, but I
suspect she wouldn't do that if I objected. I am certainly able to hold
them when something frightening is being done, and I have also been able to
hold them during euthanasia. When my mother had to have her little dog
euthanized, the vet came to her house, and did it while my mother held the
dog in her lap. I would say that a vet refusing to let a person hold their
pet is an exception, rather than the rule in the United States.

Joy