Old September 1st 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default FEMA's Message To Cat Servants: "Take Them With You"

no I meant at a emergency evacuation shelter not an animal shelter

I would love to see some one tell me I can't bring my furballs into safety

ps you did not tell me about your furball did I miss something I hope it is
alright

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Actually, shelters can refuse people's animals because some think they can
just dump their animals off and leave them. That happened during
Hurricanes Rita & Katrina. One lady got into a fight with an animal rescue
worker because they couldn't take her animal as they were already filled
to capacity. FEMA's plan was supposed to include animal rescue but a lot
of times the rescues are on their own. First FEMA said people couldn't
take their cats, dogs or other small animals with them on the planes,
buses, and trains, but the Humane Society of the United States says that
only two weren't allowed due to medical reasons. The HSUS worked under the
Louisiana SPCA to help evacuate animals that were already in shelters.
Today, about 100 cats were dropped off in Baton Rouge and the rest of the
animals were on their way to Shreveport. Tomorrow on Cat Galaxy's morning
show the HSUS will be giving everyone the latest news on the animal rescue
efforts. I'd tune in to find out more.

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
I thought the new law said that all shelters are required in an emergency
to be required to accept pets as long as they can be controlled

Hey cat protector how is your furball doing I have not kept up with the
group.

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Actually, there have been updates to the story. Go to
www.catgalaxymedia.com for the latest. On Monday morning, the radio
station will be interviewing someone from the Humane Society of the
United States that is on the ground in Shreveport, LA where animal
rescue agencies have set up shop to help the animals that have been
evacuated from New Orleans and surrounding communities.

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
FEMA's Message To Cat Servants: "Take Them With You"

By Nohl Rosen

Cat Galaxy

[snips good article]

Excellent content, CP, and timely too. Thanks for posting.