Old July 31st 05, 01:15 PM
Alison

"Cheryl" wrote in message
They found bird species that relied most on understorey

vegetation
for food and nesting were most affected by the deer. There
numbers were 93% lower than those
on deer free islands. A lack of predators has allowed deer
numbers to rise and Martin suggests introducing some of the
deers natural predators. "

It's humans that are destroying this world and causing the
decline of
songbirds and all the other disappearing species(

Alison

Interesting viewpoint. I'm one of those who believe that we are
ruining the world and the habitats of wildlife, making them
scramble for new homes, food, etc. Just seeing foxes run along an
interstate is proof to me. Seeing deer come into neighborhoods
where they've never been seen before. However, at least in this
area, humans are scrambling for housing. New jobs are being created
/ shifted faster than the housing market and the roads can keep up.
Maybe not "new" jobs, but the hot job market area changes. Bringing
"sprawl and crawl" along with it. Geez this gets me started. DC
area here.

--
Cheryl

I personally don't think you can compare the effect of an over
population of deer
on a tiny island with wild deer in US and Europe. They tried to do
this with cats
Also in the UK on a Scottish island, thousands of hedgehogs had to be
removed or destroyed because they ate the eggs of ground nesting birds
but its not likely hedgehogs on the mainland wouild affect bird
numbers.

It's the same here, foxes are becoming urbanised and thriving and
I've seen muntjac deer on the playing fields. They aren't native but
escaped from capitivity and survived.
Where I live has green belt areas that can't be built on (yet!) but
over the years small holiding and grazing land have been built on and
now places like pubs and garages, garden nurseries, large houses are
being knocked down and replaced with blocks of appartments.
Alison