Old September 5th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Default change of litter brand - cud it lead to UTI?

Cat Protector wrote:
No. UTI's usually happen because of diet.

Well, not always. We have a cat with bladder issues and he has flare-ups
every 8 mos or so. This last time, it was not a true infection, but some
crystals and trace bacteria and lots of blood and straining. He has now
been diagnosed with "idiopathic cystitis" which means, he's just going
to have flare ups probably no matter what.

The vet says new research points to a virus in cats that can cause the
cystitus, and the bleeding and straining will last about a week at a
time. We have to give the cat pain meds and antibiotics if there's any
trace of bacteria.

Wet food diet and low-stress will help, but he's in this for the long
haul. The good news is that most cats will outgrow the condition at
about 8 years old.

I'm counting the days...

Rhonda