Old October 7th 03, 03:15 AM
Sunflower

"TNTsmile" wrote in message
any advice is appreciated. Monte, a 4 month old Persian kitten, is our

first
family kitten. Unfortunately, when we took him to his first vet's visit we
learned he had ringworm. It was in two places & the vet shrugged it off as

no
big deal. He gave us a topical medicine for him. I expressed concern about

it
spreading to my children & he literally shrugged his shoulders & said that

if
it did happen then we just get the OTC meds for it.

So- flash forward 3 weeks later. Monte has 2 new ringworm spots that have
flared up & so do I (one of them has just appeared today on my neck). The
children don't have it on them.. they were pretty good at washing their

hands
every time they touched him. It grossed them out that he had ringworm. Me,

didn't pay much attention to it & didn't scrub myself everytime I touched

him.

It just occured to me today that I should've disinfected his brush. DUH.

But no
one told me & I didn't even realize how easy it is to spread. What should

I do
at this point to keep this from spreading any further and to get rid of it
entirely?
~Tonya

Ringworm is pretty contagious. It's certainly a big deal, because it's one
of the few conditions that can be communicated to humans quite easily, as
you've discovered. There are various oral anti fungal medications out there
that you should discuss with your vet, especially since it doesn't seem to
be getting better with the topical treatment. One of the oral medications
combined with topical treatment and sanitizing the environment with bleach
should help. I'm concerned that you are allowing the cat to have full
access to your home and thereby spreading the spores throughout it for
possible reinfection later. Confining the cat to a easily disinfected room
like a bathroom or laundry room for the duration of the treatment is a good
idea. The following link has good basic information about how to deal with
ringworm, albeit in a shelter environment which isn't quite the home
situation, but the basics of treatment and santization still apply.
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAH/P...s/ringworm.pdf

Sunflower