Old May 30th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

Default Tommy update: some good, some bad

On May 29, 1:56*pm, Mac Cool wrote:
Well I've been force feeding Tommy since he left the hospital last week.
Once I learned what I was doing and got a feeding syringe, he showed some
dramatic improvement. I've been making making my own concoctions out of
ground dry cat food, vitamins, corn syrup and a few drops of olive oil. I
cut out the olive oil because it makes the stool very runny. Today I
started feeding watered down A/D. Tommy has shown much improvement in
temperment, his coat looks better, he is walking better and getting
stronger.

Unfortunately today we had a little setback. He's been a little whiny all
day then a few minutes ago he cried out in pain and pooped on the bathroom
floor. He looked like he was passing a bowling ball but the stool was
about the consistancy of pudding, brown, and smelly enough to gag a
maggot. I don't really see why he should have been straining. Until now
his bowel movements have been regular, a little loose because of all the
runny food but otherwise normal. What in the world could be going wrong
now?

I haven't heard the background illness, but sometimes, in
constipation, if it is severe, the softer stool above the obstruction
can slide down past it and come out in what is known as "overflow"
diarrhea. So constipation might explain the straining. As I said, I
don't know what he was in hospital for, and what the past story is, so
I'm sorry if this is just a red herring.

--tension