Old July 17th 04, 05:13 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Zorin the Lynx at
wrote on 7/17/04 10:51AM:

Lynxie has taken on the habit of chasing these little flies that manage
to get inside. They're smaller than houseflies, and are slow and easy to
catch, so he has a ball chasing them.

I recently found out that he's actually eating them. I'm just wondering
if I should discourage this practice. It's nice to have my kitty double
as a pest-control device, but if the flies can hurt him in any way, I'd
rather halt the practice.

Can eating flies make a cat sick? Should I be worried about him catching
some sort of disease? I know feline immune systems are very powerful,
since they evolved to eat raw meat, but I can't help but worry a little...

-Z

I don't think so. My cats used to eat flies all the time and they lived to
ripe old ages.