Old July 17th 04, 05:33 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Zorin the Lynx" wrote in message
Lynxie has taken on the habit of chasing these little flies that manage
to get inside. They're smaller than houseflies, and are slow and easy to
catch, so he has a ball chasing them.

I recently found out that he's actually eating them. I'm just wondering
if I should discourage this practice. It's nice to have my kitty double
as a pest-control device, but if the flies can hurt him in any way, I'd
rather halt the practice.

Can eating flies make a cat sick? Should I be worried about him catching
some sort of disease? I know feline immune systems are very powerful,
since they evolved to eat raw meat, but I can't help but worry a little...

-Z

I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs snap up & eat flies regularly, & my first
cat used to catch & eat whatever insects she happened upon: crunch, crunch.
;-)

Cathy