Old August 3rd 03, 06:07 PM
Arjun Ray

In , "blkcatgal"
wrote:

| Two days ago I adopted a 6 week old kitten.

I'm sorry, but this was probably a mistake, and I'm more than a little
dismayed that someone would adopt out a kitten that young. At 6 weeks,
a kitten is still a baby - barely weaned, unlikely to be properly
litterbox trained or to have learned claw control. The kitten still
needs playmates of its own age and tolerant adult cats to supervise its
"education" in being a cat.

That isn't to say that humans can't provide the needed parenting, but
this *is* a parenting situation much more than it's an introduction
situation. A google search like this one may help, except most of the
information is obviously for the even younger:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...oogle+ Search

One thing you'll find is that kittens are almost always spoken of in the
plural (hint, hint.) Adult cats can be substitutes in the socialization
process if they're tolerant.

| The kitten is so darn needy and wants to be around people!

*And* other kittens and cats.

| Is it okay to leave the kitten in the bedroom alone for hours at at
| time?

No.

| I know that it will take time for the older cat to get use to the kitten,

Please think about the *kitten's* needs.