Old February 25th 04, 07:17 PM
Steve G

(GAUBSTER2) wrote in message ...
From: fan

Unless there is another reason for
giving W/D, aside from "holding it down", it shouldn't be necessary to
continue it, in my personal opinion.

Check with your vet first before taking stranger's advice about changing
from a Prescription Diet to something else.

In the OP's case, I think it would be fine to slowly phase in a small
amount of their desired food and see if the cat resumes vomiting.
Given that the cat's problem was vomiting, if the introduction of the
new food does not lead to vomitage - well, then Bob's your Uncle. If
the intro leads to vomiting, then revert to the W/D. It's not rocket
science. Unless your cat is intending to go to Mars.

IF the problem was hairballs,
there are premium cat foods with additives already in them. Also there
are over-the-counter additives if the food doesn't already contain
them.

To my knowledge, there aren't ANY "hairball foods" that have additives in
them with the express purpose of controlling hairballs.

Your knowledge is incomplete. Iams, at least has a 'patented fibre
source' in their anti-hairball food. This claimed to assist in
hairball problems, oddly enough. Does it work? Who knows? IME, it
seems to be no more effective in this respect than any other food I've
fed my cats.

Steve.