Old December 10th 04, 07:06 PM
Phil P.

"tunic" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
hi,

today my cat had another blockage which was due to a stone which had moved
down in the urethra. the vet had great difficulty passing the cathetere
and could feel the resistence by the stone (it is almost certain that its
struvite stone) but eventually it went through
the urine was quite clear of crystals (and blood) so we presume that it
was a sole stone that has pretty much been dissolved by the
catheterization
but how safe is this assumption? should we proceed to PU even knowing that
it is a struvite case? would an x-ray show anything?
i'm really hopeless..

ps i am in close contact with the vet so i'm aware of all her movements

Struvite is radiodense so it should detectable on x-rays - an ultrasound
would be idea. I would certainly opt for x-rays or ideally ultrasounds
before going forward with such a drastic procedure or risking another
obstruction. Remember, if an obstruction occurs over the weekend or your
vet is unavailable, your cat could die - complete obstruction produces a
pathophysiologic state equivalent to oliguric acute renal failure.

If the problem was caused by a single stone, the cost of the imaging is
negligible compared to the surgery and treatment for recurring UTIs - not to
mention sparing the cat of the trauma and stress.

Phil