Old March 29th 04, 06:53 AM
Arjun Ray

In , "Lotte"
wrote:

| Here in Austin, Animal Trustees of Austin has a low-cost spay/neuter
| clinic that is open Thu-Sun. They take animals in early in the morning
| on a walk-in basis, and discharge them later that day.

In New York city, the Humane Society of New York has a specially funded
program for ferals with a similar in-by-8:30am and out-by-5pm protocol:
physical exam, spay/neuter, rabies shot, flea+mite treatment and eartip,
all for free (provided they know you.) Appointments need to be made in
advance, of course, but on occasion we've been squeezed in on short
notice (they know what it's like, and they care.)

| So I usually set my trap on Wednesday night, get up early Thursday and
| take the trap (if I've caught anybody) directly to the clinic. That
| means they have to spend the night in the trap, but 'them's the breaks'
| at our house.

I would never leave a trap unmonitored overnight. What if the cat
thrashes and hurts itself? (I've seen this happen.) What if it rains?
(Ditto.) What if some clown stumbles on the trap and lets the cat go?
(Ditto.) What if someone just walks off with the trap? (Ditto.)

In my case, they also spend the night in the trap, but the trap is at
home. For recovery, I have dog crates and a playpen as needed, and for
the trip to the HS and for release I use transfer cages (much less
unwieldy than traps.)

| You *might* be able to get one of them into the carrier with a treat
| or something, but let me warn you, though, most ferals are tough
| cookies, and as soon as you move toward them, they're going to be out
| of there like a shot.

Agreed. That trick is more likely to work with strays.