Old April 9th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

Default Shedding Madness

cshenk wrote:
I have a recent addition to my home (4 year old girl that I got about
3 months ago), and she's shedding EVERYWHERE! It's not just because

One trick an old timer gave me was to
add a bit of fat to her diet. A little olive oil or bacon fat. This doesnt
so much reduce shedding, as make her fur ball problem go away and a higher
tendancy to self groom more of it off herself. I add this to her wet food.

I no longer need furball remedies (which I suspect are nothing more than cat
laxitives of a rough on the kitty sort).

That old-timer's trick sounds quite familiar - a long time ago with my second
cat, a very long-haired fluffy white Maine Coon called Tommy, his hair also
covered everything at home. My late ex-DH was a DVM & was always insistent
that the cats be fed a variety of food brands, never kept on just 1 brand &
that I add a little oil to his diet every day for his coat & skin. My own
other solution in desperation was to shave Tommy down every couple months
with small animal clippers which didn't faze him the least because he was so
easy-going, friendly & calm. But I'm sure not all cats will tolerate the
noise of the clippers! Try adding some fat to her food & use the Furminator.
This tool really grabs large amounts of loose underhair, although my present
long-haired kitty Little Devil really dislikes it & it's difficult to use on
him as he attacks the tool & me as I try to pull it through his hair. M.
Here's a picture of Tommy with partially grown-in hair:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/26088...50028271ZMvdoj
& shortly after being shaved:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24254...50028271GAZjTw