Old November 8th 03, 03:39 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Karen" wrote in message
Most likely realized that it was a mistake. I would require that to make

it
up to me the vet provide pamphlets on declawing in the waiting room and

stop
by out of the blue to make sure they carry it out. Phil has a pdf that

can
be printed out on his site at maxshouse.com.

Karen

That's what I was thinking, too, except I might request that the vet no
longer declaw cats, as well, and should also educate his clients of the
negative aspects of declawing. Providing a pamphlet is one method, but
speaking directly to people is another and one that is much more direct.
But I think I would probably first ask the vet what he felt would be
adequate compensation. I don't mean in terms of money, but what he felt he
should do to make up for the mistake. Sometimes it's very effective to have
the guilty party determine his own punishment--he can be much harsher than
anyone else. And he probably feels worse about the situation than anyone
else, including the owner of the cat.

I don't think money (suing or asking for monetary compensation) is really
going to help. But asking him to advocate against declawing would have a
much more beneficial outcome. I'm not sure I would lodge a formal complaint
at this stage. I would try to find out if any similar complaints had been
made about him, though. I'm starting to think everyone should check if
their vets have had complaints lodged against them. I wonder if that
information is available to the public.

Oh, I also think that the vet should be willing to cover any future problems
the cat may have that could be related to the declawing. For example, if
the cat starts peeing inappropriately, then the vet should cover the costs
of Feliway or possibly even the costs of new carpet.

rona