Old July 14th 05, 06:31 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Newbie" wrote in message
Which human foods can cats eat? Not as exclusive diet, but once in a
while, without harming their health.

A casual glance at our fridge shows: cooked shrimp, baked chicken, ham,
bacon, sausage, canned tuna, salmon. Oh, and I just scambled some eggs
for myself.

All of this is non-vegetable. Can cats eat it safely?

BTW, what makes canned cat food stink so badly? :-)

If I buy cold cuts to make sandwiches for lunch, I MUST share with the cats.
They'll freak out & explode if I don't. I usually buy turkey and ham. They
love both, but I think they prefer the ham. I give them each two little
pieces, maybe 1" x 1" of whatever I'm having. They also like chicken and
tuna. I have tuna maybe 1-3 times a year, so they only get a little flake
each when I do have it. I don't think I've ever offered them shrimp, bacon
or sausage. I'd rather save it all for myself! They have no interest in
eggs.

Otto loves those nasty strips of pork (?) that come in wonton soup from
Chinese take-out places. He also likes crackers, especially cheesy ones.
Mostly they prefer anything meaty.

Stinky, one of the cats at work, will often share my sandwich
(turkey/ham/chicken) but likes very little other human food. Harriet will
not eat any kind of sandwich meat and will only try tuna once in awhile.
Harriet does LOVE human junk food, though. Potato chips, pretzels, Goldfish
crackers, tortilla chips. If it's crunchy & salty, she wants it. She's
also eaten french fries and donuts, and it drives me crazy when the staff
gives her that stuff. Harriet loves her dry food and isn't crazy about
canned food, and it seems to carry over in her tastes for human food.

Many cats will eat vegetables. I don't think it will harm them. My
sister's cat went crazy for kale.

--
Liz