Old January 14th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Maxine G

Default my cat keeps losing his collar!

AZ Nomad wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:41:39 GMT, Maxine G wrote:
Hi. My cat has now lost about 5 collars in the neighborhood. This
doesn't count those that neighbors have found and returned. Many of
the times he's come in without it, he's also been a bit muddy, so I
suspect he's been crawling under some brush that's snagged it.

It's expensive because we have a magnetic cat door, so each time we
replace a collar, we also have to replace the magnet and his tag.

We've tried several different types of collars - break-away and
stretchy. Obviously we want to continue to use a safety collar, so
that he CAN get out of it in an emergency.

Does anyone have a particular type of collar to recommend?

There's no collar that can be kept on a cat if kitty doesn't want it
there. Choice 1) get a breakaway/stretchy and lose it. 2) get a
standard collar and risk kitty strangling 3) just do without.

Do you really need a magnetic cat door? Are there other cats trying
to get in? Raccoons? Very small children?

Raccoons getting into cat doors are a big problem around here. Maybe we
just need to accept frequent replacement of collars.

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net