Old February 1st 05, 08:04 PM
veruca

Default Animal Control inspector seems obsessed with our shelter.

I work with a small, cats-only rescue group in North Texas. We have a
small shelter which is not purpose-built, so it isn't a perfect
shelter, but we pay daily cleaners and are fortunate enough to have
some truly compassionate volunteers caring for the occupants. We will
also be moving to better facilities in a few months.

During the 18 months the shelter has been open, we have been inspected
by the local SPCA and Humane Society, and passed both inspections
without a hitch. However, I should point out that we don't know why we
were singled out for inspection, except that the Humane Society
admitted that a passerby didn't recognize our facility for what it was
(we do not have signage; otherwise we'd have dozens of dumped animals
on the doorstep every morning). Like Child Protective Services,
complaints to the SPCA must be investigated without identifying the
complainant.

However, the city's Animal Control inspectors decided to look over the
shelter last month. Again, we don't know why, although we suspect an
ex-volunteer is responsible (she was extremely unreliable and we
gradually realized she had a drug problem, so she was asked to leave).

The animal control inspector has been to the shelter three times during
the last four weeks. Each visit lasted well over an hour, and the
animal control veterinarian accompanied him during the last visit. We
have produced medical records for the last two years, including proof
that every cat in the shelter has been "combo tested" for FIV and
feline leukemia. However, we have not received any sort of report,
citation, and/or feedback. Nada.

Today, we received a phone call from the same inspector. Now he wants
to know the prognosis of two cats quarantined for URI during their last
visit, plus copies of ALL our rabies certificates, plus a lot of other
records - all produced by the end of the week.

We are beginning to feel this has gone on for too long. The SPCA and
Humane Society did thorough inspections with one visit - now Animal
Control is planning to visit a fourth time. Our Board of Directors is
considering hiring an attorney. Should we take any additional action -
or different action?