Old December 20th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BC

Default Using a Pet Carrier

Thanks for the info Eva----- BC

On Dec 18, 1:19 pm, Eva Quesnell wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, BC exclaimed (15-Dec-06 10:38 PM):
I started taking care of a stray a few months ago and want to take her
to the vet for a checkup, shots etc. Even though stray someone had been
taking care of her, she's friendly and has gotten used to us pretty
easily.

But I cannot get her in a pet carrier! Ive tried several times and
several carriers, including a large one for dogs. Before I can get the
door closed she is out!!! I searched for a vet that would make house
calls but havent found one in Tulsa Ok. Any help will be
appreciated. Im trying to get her used to it a bit at a time with the
top off etc but hasnt helped yetFirst thing I do is leave the carriers out all the time. It's a part of

my decor. They're tucked into corners and under tables with little
blankets in them. The cats sleep in them all the time and know it's a
safe place. BTW, I make sure I have enough carriers to put all the cats
at once in case we ever need to evacuate.

Of course, they don't like it when I force them into the carrier. So I
use the backwards method. I get the kitty, and I sit on the floor in
front of the carrier. I have the cat facing me as I put his rear end
against the carrier. When he feels crowded, kitty backs right in. Works
for me. Then at the vet's, as soon as kitty is done, he jumps right back
into the carrier because he knows it will take him home. Good luck!

Eva