Old October 28th 04, 02:35 PM
Sunflower

"Sammy" wrote in message
. com...
I love cats and really want a kitten but have noticed whenever I am at my
sisters, if she has been vigilant with the vacuum, my nose starts to itch.
What's the deal with hairless cats? Are they good pets?

TIA
Sammy

It's not the hair that most folks are allergic to. It's the dander, which
are the skin flakes along with the dried saliva. A hairless cat is still
going to trigger an allergenic reaction in someone who is allergic.
However, you should see an allergist and ask about allergy shots and
medications. Allergies CAN be controlled. My husband is allergic to cats
and dogs. WE have 9 cats and he manages very well. But, adding even a
teensy dog puts him over the edge and he can't deal with it. 9-10 cats is
his body's limit for cats. He had allergy shots as a youth and is on
medication today.

Please DO NOT GET A CAT until you know your allergies are under control.
Cats are constantly dumped at shelters with this excuse. Yes, it's valid in
the case of the 4 year old child whose airway swelled up and threatened to
stop her breathing after the cat licked her neck. But, in your case, it
would be cruelty. You already know you're allergic. Don't push the
envelope unless you're activly managing your allergy. And test that
management by visiting your friend or a local shelter. Don't test it on an
innocent cat that you'd have to dump.