Old November 28th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.education,alt.philosophy,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.misc
dh@.

Default Which rights for which animals? (was: problem with this newsgroup)

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:34:46 -0500, "LarryLook" wrote:

The problem with this newsgroup is the following. The anti's here are under
the assumptions:

1. That vegetarians don't think modern lifestyle kills anything.

Some of us don't believe you're honestly too stupid to understand
that you contribute to most of the same wildlife deaths that everyone
else does. Some of us believe deep down you are actually aware
of it, meaning that we think you lie to everyone else in your attempts
to promote veg*nism, and possibly even lie to yourselves in order to
reduce the discomfort of your cognitive dissonance which results
from it.

That's crazy.

You are the ones who give the impression that you're too stupid
to understand, so if anyone has that impression it is YOUR fault.
As I pointed out above, some of us believe you are really more
dishonest than you are stupid, though maybe not by much.

I must kill and occassional ant driving to work. I admit it. So
there.

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
in order to be successful:

Tires, Paper, Upholstery, Floor waxes, Glass, Water
Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer, Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides,
Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen,
Heparin, Insulin, Solvents, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides,
Gelatin Capsules, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
Plywood, Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
Wrap and Tape, Abrasives, Steel Ball Bearings

2. The anti's don't think we vegetarians care about numbers. But clearly
the death of one animal is better than the death of 1000. It's not a hard
concept.

Here we see plowing:
http://tinyurl.com/8fmxe

and here harrowing:
http://tinyurl.com/zqr2v

both of which kill animals by crushing, mutilation, suffocation,
and exposing them to predators. We can see that planting
kills in similar ways:
http://tinyurl.com/k6sku

and death from herbicides and pesticides needs to be
kept in mind:
http://tinyurl.com/ew2j5

Harvesting kills of course by crushing and mutilation, and
it also removes the surviving animals' food, and it exposes
them to predators:
http://tinyurl.com/otp5l

In the case of rice there's additional killing as well caused
by flooding:
http://tinyurl.com/qhqx3

and later by draining and destroying the environment which
developed as the result of the flooding:
http://tinyurl.com/rc9m3

Cattle eating grass rarely if ever cause anywhere near
as much suffering and death. ·
http://tinyurl.com/q7whm

3. They think we can not acknowledge that a clam's life is worth less than
a horse. Well it is. Clearly a clam is less sentient and sapient. Let's
get real here. You want me to value and ant over my dog???

"There’s no rational basis for saying that a human being has special
rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They’re all animals." - Newkirk

4. They think a movement will start where former vegetarians and ethical
eaters are going to start eating rare grass fed cows (as if they were
ubiquitous) which produce loads of harmful methane, to cut down on the total
numbers of deaths. They accept Stephen Davis' numbers blindly with no
critical thinking.

being vegan.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised

What kind of movement are they talking about?

One that provides decent lives for billions of livestock animals.

Vegetarian for McDonalds?

Obviously not since veg*nism does nothing to help any
livestock, much less to provide decent lives for them.

They know full well the more workable system is
for vegetarians to be vegetarians, not search out grass fed cows.

People who want to contribute to decent lives for livestock
must do it by being more conscientious consumers of animal
products. The can NOT do it by being veg*n.

5. Most of the anti's here aren't in favor of ethical eating and don't
admit to finding ethical eating desirable or possible. So they are
qualified for this discussion?

Obviously people in favor of providing decent animal welfare
for livestock are more qualified to discuss it than people who
want to eliminate livestock instead. The gross misnomer "animal
rights" would not provide better lives, longer lives, rights, or any
life at all for domestic animals. The misnomer would ELIMINATE
domestic animals which of course would make rights or even
decent welfare for them impossible, since they would not exist.
Since advocates of the misnomer contribute to almost all if not
more wildlife deaths than other people do, we have no reason
to believe they would provide rights for wildlife either. The biggest
question associated with the misnomer is:

Which rights for which animals???