Old June 17th 15, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Default In or Out

I think I was beaten down a year or so ago when I said that it was
cruel to let your cat roam outside. Now here is a letter, and an
answer from a vet:

Q: Our family just adopted a cat, and my husband and I are debating
whether she should stay indoors all the time or go out during the day.
What are your thoughts?

A: Asking a vet if your cat should be kept inside is like asking a
dentist if you should brush your teeth. My office is currently caring
for eight felines that are sick or injured as a result of their
open-air adventures. Statistics vary, but house cats live, on average,
nine years longer than their outdoor counterparts. Makes sense—have
you ever heard of a pet being hit by a car while snoozing on a
recliner? And traffic is just one hazard. Kitties who roam outside
risk exposure to potentially fatal diseases, including feline
leukemia, feline AIDS, and rabies, as well as less dangerous but still
unpleasant parasites and infections (fleas, ticks, ringworm). Then
there are predators, like coyotes, raccoons, dogs, even humans with
guns.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/p...BkQsA7#image=2