Old August 22nd 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh via CatKB.com

Default Picky eater

Dom wrote:
I need help. I'm pretty new with cats. I have two. One is
overweight and I try to give him a strict diet of high protein low
carbs canned food. But the other is normal sized, and he is a VERY
PICKY EATER. All night long he cries, but when I put out food he
smells it and turns away. I can't tell you how much food I've
wasted. I'm afraid he is not getting enough to eat, and I'm getting
very frustrated with him.

When I got him at PetSmart, they told me too only give him Purina One,
but he turns away from that too.

How do you find out what a cat likes?

Have you tried wet food and dry solid food too?

If all else fails, try heating the wet food slightly, so that the aroma Set's
off his appetite. not hot, just warm. The cat's sense of smell is 10 x
magnified to out own, so this would make a difference....

If that doesn't work, trey anything, such as sardines, or tuna. Anything that
you think might kick start his appetite to start with, then work from there..

(I'm kicking myself right now. I did read somewhere on here that a certain
drug kick starts appetite as a side effect to the real reason for use of this
drug. Can anyone else remember who posted about it?)

If the weight loss gets alarming, then get hold of your vet & see if they can
see him to see if there is an underlying reason that isn't presenting itself
yet, OK?
Good Luck Dom,
Sheelagh "o"
PS: Welcome to the cat slave society