Old November 20th 03, 02:13 PM
Alison Perera

In article . net,
wrote:

Alison Perera wrote:
wrote:

I asked him if Orbifloxacin (recommended by Phil) is safer
but he said that there are not enough statistics to show
that it is safer. He said there are a lot more statistics
on Enrofloxacin because it's been used on millions of cats
during the past 10 years. So I told him that I wanted to
think about it for a few days.

Another fluoroquinolone is Zeniquin, which has been in use
on cats long enough (perhaps) to satisfy your vet. It is
pretty expensive though. I would also be wary of Baytril,
and I am disappointed with your vet's resistance to your
concerns.

-Alison in OH

My vet doesn't have Orbifloxacin in stock but I just called
an animal hospital in the area and found that they have it
(but the technician I talked to had never heard of Zeniquin).

Yngver is right, there's the issue of the organism's susceptibility to
the specific drug that could be influencing your vet's desire to use
that particular antibiotic. However, it only takes one dose of Baytril
to blind a cat. The vet I worked with used it on two animals while I was
there, both with bated breath--and both with excellent results against
infections that were resistant to everything else. Clearly, YMMV.

Zeniquin, or marbofloxacin, is produced by Pfizer. See
http://www.zeniquin.com/. I'm not making this stuff up.

-Alison in OH