Old February 7th 04, 12:06 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:20:43 +0000, Jacqueline
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:56:58 +0000, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:34:26 +0000, Jacqueline
wrote:

When you take on the responsibility of homing any pet, one of the
important aspects is providing a proper environment for it. Cats need
space to roam, that is part of their nature.

It's part of every animal's 'nature' to roam, establish territory and

It is, and where the animal's "nature" does not endanger humans (as it
would with a free roaming pack animal like the dog) then we have to do
our level best to provide the animal with what it needs.

find food but we've moved on slightly from the laws of the jungle.
Cats have been domesticated and as such are provided with food,
shelter and territory. They adapt to their environment, just like we
adapt to the structures imposed on us.

Dogs can't be given that for human safety reasons.

Foxes are essentially canine but they have 'freedom to roam' and don't
attack humans.

Foxes are wild animals, in addition they are not generally pack
animals.

You only think it's normal for dogs to be walked around
on leads because that's your experience.

Hamsters are not native to the UK,

Nor are cats, they were introduced by the Romans.

Reintroduced.

but need proper housing.

In a cage?

Certainly not.

Why can't they be let out to roam? Because they might get
eaten or killed? Ah, but it's their nature to forage for food!

People, unless imprisoned for a crime, do have a large
degree of freedom.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly - as an indoor/outdoor
animal.

It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree,

Oh I know there are many ignorant people out there, and many who do
know that they are abusing their cats by keeping them in.

so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.

Yes I can. Because my opinions are based on the opinions of experts
like the RSPCA, Cats Protection, well respected experts in cats, our
leading zoos, and the experiences of millions of cat owners around the
world.

The cat is the same - regardless of the country it lives in. The
overwhelming majority of cats around the world get to lead proper
lives with time outside. Why should American cats be any different?

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.