Old August 7th 07, 08:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

Default stupid stupid people

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 04:18:54 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

The PA's about killfiling do seem to be a touchy subject with some. It
doesn't strike me one way or another if someone announces it. I always
thought they were telling the intendee to stop shouting into the wind.

I always figured it was to get attention (any person, any group -
making the announcement to kill-file somebody or leave the group).

I have left many groups permanently, and some groups off and on,
because I don't like the arguments on the group, the nastiness of some
people, or the group is more off-topic than non-topic. I never make an
announcement. I just leave.

This is one group that I come back every now and then to see if the
attitude has improved. Sometimes, I ask a question, respond to a few
posts, stay awhile. Sometimes I take a look and leave without even
posting.

Some groups, I have never gone back to. A couple weeks ago, I ditched
a mailing list because the moderator was cancelling posts that were
ontopic and polite,but disagreed with his opinion. In my case, he
didn't like the lights I was using for photography, and emailed me to
tell me to remove my statement about them (that they worked well).We
were already discussing the topic of lights and what worked well for
each of us. If he disliked my lights, he could have argued it on the
list. But he blocked my post because he thought i was wrong. I simply
replied that I could not alter my post. I waited a few days to see if
he would let it go through, and then I unsubcribed. Who knows how many
other valid discussions were quashed by his need to be right.

I can tell you that my opinions are certain topics have done a full
turnaround from my early postings 15 years ago. But I didn't change my
opinion when people were calling me names and being rude to me. I
changed my beliefs later when I was doing research and learned the
truth. If people want to make a difference, educating people works a
lot better than yelling and screaming. As it is, I usally figure the
other person knows they've lost when they get to the point of name
calling and off topic insults. Why? Because they aren't arguing the
actual topic. They ran out of valid points and got personal.