Old May 18th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Default Hair balls?

Rene wrote in news:66426a03-532f-4a7e-931b-
:

Sorry to sound gross, but are you seeing hair clumps when you clean up
the vomit? It would look like a clump/lump, usually cigar shaped.

Yes, usually. But smaller - about the size of a cigarette.

Seems unusual to me that she would get hairballs if you brush her
daily. Doing this daily doesn't sound good--you might call your vet's
office and ask. If she were doing this weekly, I wouldn't worry, but
daily is not normal IMO.

We'll see if my other things work. She seems otherwise normal.

Your comment about more hairballs since starting Wellness is curious.
Since my cats have been on canned Wellness (and some Evo), we've had
fewer hairballs.

You can try and add a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin to her food and
mix that in. (Some cats like pumpkin and will eat it as a treat.)

I just tried a tea-spoonfull in her food dish. She wouldn't even taste
it. I'll try mixing it with her food later. (I'll bet she won't eat it!)

That pumpkin was very hard to find. I finally found a large can in the
third store I tried. $3! sigh Better work!

If
she's currently experiencing hairballs, you can give her Petromalt or
other hairball remedy for a few days (don't give near her feeding
time. It will reduce absorption of nutrients.)

We'll see how the pumpkin works first. I suspect the pumpkin is just for
fiber and the unflavored Metamucil clone I've been using is much the same
thing.

Ken