Old August 1st 03, 08:55 PM
Cathy Friedmann

If she's not actually ill & showing signs of distress, I personally can't
imagine euthanizing her at this point - or in a month's time, rather. Does
she enjoy sunbaths, still? Doe she purr when she's petted? Does she watch
the other cats - at least to some degree, & in general take notice of her
environment?

You mention her lower back (arthritis, maybe?) & possible kidney probs. Has
she been to the vet for a check-up? Has the vet prescribed treatment for
either condition to help her to feel better? If her BUN & creatinine are
elevated - indicating renal failure, here's a great site w/ lots of
practical info:
http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Dooies B.B" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry to cross post but I have a bit of a dilema.

My cat is now 15 and a half, and although she still eats, drinks, toilets,
and sleeps, she does little else. I know she has some discomfort from her
lower back, and probably kidney problems. Other than that and her

increased
laziness she seems quite happy, purrs when I go to see her, still comes

down
stairs when she wants more food (I have 3 cats, and they decided they

wanted
to divide themselves so Katie got the upstairs, and Gizmo and betsy the
downstairs), she doesn't come and see me in bed any more and has no desire
to go outside (even though she used to go out days at a time).

I realise this is just old age and everyone slows down, but I'm wondering
whether I should consider taking her to be put down in a month or so

rather
than forcing her to go on living when basically she doesn't live the most
active of lives, and its not that full of interest. I try and spend time
with her, but I just wonder if forcing her to live on to the bitter end is
the kindest thing to do.

Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.