Old October 25th 05, 02:07 AM
Juls

Default Repellent: Methyl Nonyl Ketone?

Wow, I'd never seen this FAQ before...some interesting tips there. (But
many aren't helpful for a deaf cat, who can't hear a shaking can of
coins)

I've tried a little squirt gun on her, but I think she likes it.

With the big diffenbachia I had, that needed to be brought inside for
winter, I finally had to move it to the basement today. (They don't go
in the basement) The foil did a good job in stopping her digging, but
then she got mad and started trying to climb it. She broke off about
half the leaves and I couldn't find a place to put it where she'd leave
it alone. I put the shamrocks down there too...she thought they were
delicious. Dmitri used to think the same, and once ate an entire plant
before I caught him. They just love those shamrocks! Oh, and the spider
plants, too, but those I've been able to hide from her by putting them
on top of a high bookshelf and hiding the many baby spiders behind the
plant. I also got them a new grass plant, but they always seem to lose
interest in that after the first day. Jack doesn't bother the other
plants.

I'll try the tabasco sauce, but I'm still wondering if this product
being sold is effective and safe. They have it at Pet Smart too, but
was three times the price as this can at Drs. F&S.

In article , "No More
Retail" wrote:

Archive-name: cats-faq/behavior
Last-modified: 16 Jul 1999

=======
The latest versions of these FAQ's may be obtained via the Web at
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/

The multiple posted (ASCII) parts of the FAQ are all archived at
rtfm.mit.edu
(18.181.0.24) in the directory /pub/usenet/news.answers/cats-faq. These
files will also appear in other sites that mirror the RTFM archives.
==========

Problem Behaviors in Cats

Note: Please see the [1]Table of Contents FAQ for a complete list of
topics.

Cord (and Other) Chewing

Put something distasteful on the cord to discourage chewing.
Substances to try: tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, Bitter Apple/Orange,
nail-biting nailpolish, orange/lemon peel. If you cannot find a
substance that will repel your cat, you may wish to use gaffer's tape
to secure exposed cords. Gaffer's tape comes in a variety of colors
and you will probably be able to find something relatively
inconspicuous. (Duct tape can also be used, but it's pretty messy and
hard to clean up if you're moving out of an apartment. Consider
permanent wiring if you own your place: installment behind walls, etc.

This will work on other chewed items, as well, although you will need
to check the compatibility of the chewed item with the substance you
put on it.

To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at