Old July 3rd 03, 06:37 PM
Jean

Hi Jean,
I think it's great that you're researching the best diet for your cat. I think
the quality of the protein you feed is very important. While there are many
conflicting opinions on the phosphorous issue, I don't think anyone is
advocating a high phosphorous diet. I do think while phosphorous is important,
it is also very important to look at the entire diet and to feed a high quality
diet that is fit for a carnivore and that isn't grain based. I think you've
got it right, when seeing the cat as a whole being. That's the main philosphy
of holistic vets.
Best of luck with finding the right diet for your kitty

Lauren

Lauren -

Thanks for the encouragement. It'd be nice if things are more black and
white! But at the same time, it's the "standard treatment protocols"
that cause problems when there are multiple issues and conflicting
treatments. The more I've read, the clearer it is that the grain based
combinations that the cat food makers call protein are not usable in
cats the way they are in humans. It becomes even murkier because alot of
animal proteins also provide alot of phosphorous so it's important to
pick and choose carefully. Slowly but surely getting there!

Thanks again-
Jean