Old May 27th 04, 01:17 PM
dgk

On Thu, 27 May 2004 00:38:53 GMT, "RobZip"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
Ugh. I feel horrible. Sure, birds die all the time but I'm never going
to let the cats out again without making enough noise so that all the
birds get out first.

This is one of the things I encounter doing wildlife rehab. A surprising
number of cat owners don't think their cat will hunt and kill when outside
and doubt their ability to do so. Cats are very effective predators by
nature. The old sage advice among rehab people here is that even a well fed,
mostly indoor cat will hunt and kill something at least every third time it
is outside. Not to be laying any sort of accusatory trip on you but,
surprise - you got yourself a hunter there!

Yes, but it isn't a very big backyard. And they can't get out of it.
Weekdays I let them out when I get home after work and let them stay
out until it starts getting dark. The door is open so they can come in
whenever they feel like it.

When I let them out they rush out the door and usually skid to a halt
on the deck as the birds fly in all directions. I guess one flew a
little slower than normal.