Old August 23rd 14, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joy

Default Newbie with a question

On 8/23/2014 1:37 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Joy
wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here, although I'm a long-time subscriber to rpca. I'm hoping
somebody has some suggestions to help a poor little feral kitty.

Five years ago I adopted two three-year-old littermates, a male and a
female. A few months ago the male got cancer and subsequently had to be
PTS. The female (Pickles) has been very lonely and demanding of
attention.

I thought I'd get her a companion, and consulted others about this. The
consensus seemed to be that a young male would be the best fit.

About a month ago I adopted a 4-month-old neutered male from the local
shelter. When the volunteer took him out of the cage so I could pet
him, he struggled and she said, "He's still a little bit feral."

I kept him secluded for about a week. During that time he spent most of
his time hiding. Just as I was about to initiate an introduction
between the two cats, I got the results of a test showing that he had an
infection. For the next ten days I had to dig him out of his hiding
place and give him medication. Naturally, that didn't make him feel any
more comfortable about his situation. I almost never saw him unless I
was medicating him.

A few weeks ago I started spending about half an hour every day in his
room, lying on the bed, reading. and talking and singing to him.

About a week ago he was through with his medication and tested well, so
I opened the door to the room where I'd been keeping him. Once or twice
Pickles would go into that room and they'd exchange what sounded like
insults or threats, but there was never any physical contact.

At some point they apparently reached an agreement, because now Pickles
never goes into that room, and he never comes out of it. Since I opened
the door, I've seen him out from under the bed three times.

I know he's scared to death, and I'd like to let him know he doesn't
need to be scared. I'd also like him and Pickles to become friends.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can accomplish either of
these things?

Joy

Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Photos at http://www.PictureTrail.com/joy9

I'm sure he will settle in. It's good that Pickles and Koala have reached
some sort of agreement and it's not agreesive, that might easily change as
they get used to each other. Koala has had a traumatic time in the last
few weeks, he needs to sort out his new environment and housemates in his
own way.

I think that what you're doing is absolutely right. I know it seems a long
haul but he's worth it.

Judith

Thank you.

Today when I went in to spend half an hour with him, I spread some
blankets on the floor and lay down there. I had a hard time getting up,
but I managed. His reaction was to scoot as far away from me as he
could get.

Joy