Old July 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Sandra Loosemore

(JR) writes:

My question is, do allergy medications work at all for
people allergic to cats, or are shots virtually required for those who
want cats, but are allergic to them?

My cat allergies are relatively mild so I can't advise you on the
medication issue, but there are things you can do to lessen your
exposure to the things you're allergic to. In my case, I live
entirely without carpeting or upholstered furniture, I vaccuum
frequently, I wash my bedding and the cover for the living room futon
frequently, I try to groom the cats regularly so they don't shed all
over the house, and I wash my hands after handling them. Having cats
forced me to make some lifestyle adjustments, but now I hardly notice
this stuff, and it seems like a good idea for other reasons. E.g.,
both of my cats are prone to hairballs. The regular combing helps
them with that, and for me it's certainly a lot easier to clean up cat
barf off a hardwood floor than carpeting. :-P

Problem 2: I can't keep my cat away from things around which he is
not supposed to be.

Problem 3: I'm a bit of an insomniac, and have trouble sleeping, even
under perfect conditions. Therefore, when my kitten jumps around my
room after I turn in for the night, I really have a problem trying to
sleep!

Problem 4: I'm only home for about 3 hours in the evening before I go
to bed. Is that enough time to spend with my kitten, or does he need
more attention?

Do you really want a cat? Generally, having a pet will make it
necessary for you to make some adjustments to your own lifestyle --
pet-proofing your home, spending time with your cat, getting some
benefit of companionship in return.

Just as a suggestion, adult cats are generally less of a nuisance than
kittens. They're not as over-energetic at inappropriate times, and
you can often tell a bit more about their personalities before you
adopt them, so that you won't bring home a total lap fungus when you
really want a low-maintenance independent type of cat, or vice versa.

-Sandra