Old June 8th 04, 05:22 PM
Mary

I cannot afford necropsies on these animals, but if there is someone out
at the colony with poison, I would like to know about it and maybe do
something to prevent it.

I've done necropsies of poisoned animals. I've picked up lots of dead poisoned
animals. If they were poisoned with antifreeze, you should see some foaming at
the mouth. The area around the mouth would be wet and slicked back. If she died
of secondary poisoning from rodenticide, you would possibly see bleeding from
the anus, nose, mouth, ears. You will also see patches of skin that she'd
scratched red and raw. Sometimes they can die of internal hemmorhage or organ
shut down before you see the outward signs. Was she bloated or dehydrated? It's
also possible that she was just nicked by a car in the head which caused a head
injury. I've seen animals hit by cars that looked fine. Their injuries were all
internal. If you'd kept her body, you might have seen bruising the next morning
and that would have given you a better indication of what might have possibly
happened. Necropsies are $75, toxicologies are $25-50. Each state has a state
health lab that does necropsies on animals to test for poison or disease. Vets
do the same service for a little more because they send the bodies out.