Old August 19th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default Cystitis and excessive belly licking

On 19 Aug, 12:40, jmc wrote:
Regulars here know Meep has cystitis. I've been noting a thinning of
hair on her belly, about where her bladder is. It isn't self-mutilation
- yet - it's just short hairs, but no skin damage. I pointed this out
to the vet and she indicated that this could indeed be caused by
discomfort from cystitis, but did not recommend any treatment at this
time. The treatment she'd suggest is anti-inflammatories, and I guess
that's to be avoided for as long as possible, due to the stress this
therapy places on kidneys and liver.

I'm bothered by this though - it's a visible indication that she's
uncomfortable, even if she's not showing clinical signs. She's licked
to the point of self-mutilation before, so I'm keeping a close eye on this.

She's been eating almost only wet food for a couple of weeks, but it
hasn't made a difference to this behavior. Is it too soon?

Is there anything I could give her to either make her more comfortable,
or at least to keep her from licking?

Please don't suggest a second opinion - would if I could. This is the
best of the two vet clinics in town. The next nearest is a plane flight
away.

jmc

i think it is a case of 'trest the cystitis and the licking to excess
will then stop' AFAIK she is licking that spot because she is in great
pain and discomfort there and it is the only way to distract herself
from the pain inside, so if the cause of the pain is sorted out ie the
cystitis, then she will no longer have the need to lick there so much
as the pain will have gone.

is your vet not treating her for cystitis? if not why? demand to know
why, and also ask about painkillers for your cat, a doctor wold give a
human patient in such pain some sort of painkiller so why not for a
cat who is obviously is a great of distress. please go back to your
vet and ask about this, your cat is obviously in pain and the vet can
do something to help if they can be bothered.

bookie