Old December 4th 04, 12:49 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting
things to say about [OT] Tips for Coping:

We'd been planning to spend Christmas at my parents'. Both my brothers would
be there, as well as my brother K's new wife and her (now their) two kids,
whom I haven't yet met. Between the complete lack of vacation time, a serious
need to get certain projects done by mid-january, and the realization of how
insanely expensive two tickets to NC would be for us, well, I called my dad in
tears last night to tell him I didn't think I could do it. My parents
understand, of course, but it's still a real bummer, and of course I feel guilty.

My in-laws were planning to visit, but MIL is in a snit about being
told jointly by DH and me that we do not need her managing us and very
much resent her gossiping our lives all over the place. Frankly, I
think I'll have a more enjoyable holiday without dealing with her if
that's the attitude she chooses to take. I do feel bad for DFIL, who's
an innocent party in this one, though.

Anyway, the really sad part to me is that, when I told my dad I was going to
look for a therapist to talk some of my stress out, it really bummed him out.
Yes, I've sought professional help during dark times, but in this case, I want
to just flush my brain a little, talk to someone with an outside perspective
and no agenda. My husband certainly understands, but my father I guess is
just a different generation and a different culture. He said something like,
"Well, honey, when you say you're going to see a therapist ... that sounds
like, you know, you think you 'need therapy.'" When I related this to my
husband later on, he responded, "Well, what's wrong with needing therapy?"

Smart guy you're married to. I agree completely with him. You'd get
help for a physical illness or injury, why not for psychological
matters?

Honestly, I think my life is pretty good, and I feel blessed. I don't mean to
sound like I think my life is falling apart, because I know it's not. I think
sometimes, the day to day stresses of normal life are the hardest to cope
with. I don't know how people manage with kids. They just do, I guess. But,
as I told my dad last night, I'm just feeling a little ... brittle right now.
Things are bothering me more than they should; easy decisions seem hard. It's
not full-blown depression, but I know myself well enough to monitor the
situation.

I can definitely relate to this. I especially run into trouble when
I'm pre-menstrual, and can't help wondering if hormonal factors are in
play here [you don't have to answer that :-), just thought it might be
worth thinking about].