Old September 13th 03, 04:27 PM
Sarah

"SexyGirl" wrote in message
m...

Hello,

My cat was just put on heart medication and I attempted to give it to
her this morning. She is not big on treats so putting it in cheese or
bologna wouldn't work and she spit it out when I tried to pill her. I
really stressed her out which is something the vet said shouldn't be
done. Any advice for giving medicine to a cat would be greatly
appreciated. Are there some treats out there that no cat would pass
up? My cat seems to have a problem eating anything that is not hard
food.

Ask your vet about compounding the medication. Pharmacies can compound the
medication into treats or into a transdermal gel that you rub inside the
ear. My cat, who is also on heart medication and impossible to pill, gets
her medication that way. It was a lifesaver for us (and her!). If your vet
doesn't work with a compounding pharmacy, there are several reputable online
ones - you just need a prescription from your vet.

In the meantime, a trick someone suggested here that has worked well for us
when we have to give her lasix (which we didn't compound since she's only on
it as needed) is to put the pill in a bit of honey and then put the honey on
her mouth. When she licks the honey, the pill goes in and she can't spit it
out because it's sticky. If the pill is large, you can crush it up in the
honey, though that's messy. Someone else I know is giving her cat heart
medication using friskies soft treats - they are large enough to break in
half and stuff a pill in, and her cat just gobbles them up, apparently.

If your cat has just been diagnosed with a heart problem, you might want to
check out the yahoo feline hearts HCM group at

We're all in the same boat over there...