Old September 18th 03, 03:55 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Marek Williams at
wrote on 9/17/03 9:28 PM:

1) One of the things that sends him into ecstasy is if I stick my
little finger into his ears while petting him and rub around in there.
My finger comes out with brownish ear wax on it, but I suspect he has
ear mites. If I look at the ear wax with a magnifying glass, would
they be visible? If he has ear mites, what is a good treatment (over
the counter, preferably, since we're not yet ready for the vet visit)?

He most certainy has mites, I imagine. OTC stuff won't do anything, but you
could find out if a vet would give you some ivermective to take home and
give him. It is a one time deal, but living outside so much, it may be
something you need to do once in a while. I don't know if a vet will, but
you can ask. Some vets will make house calls, which then they could at least
see you *really* have a cat. If he *likes* your finger in your ear, you
could at least wrap gauze around your finger that is dampened with half
water and half vinegar and give him little ear washes. The mites thrive on
dirty ears. The cleaner he keeps them the better.

2) So far he has had constant access to the outside. The weather here
is still mild, so the door to the back porch has a 2 x 4 block keeping
it open just "cat-size." Similarly, the door from the porch to the
kitchen is blocked open for him. He seems to understand the idea of
living inside, but going outside to poop and pee. Until today there
has been no problem with this, but this evening I just discovered a
wet spot on the carpet in the living room. It is right in the walkway
through the living room and I know it was not there earlier today.
Curiously, it does not smell. Still, it is worrisome. Just now I took
a the lid to a large paper box and filled it with cat litter (bought a
couple days ago) and put it on the floor in the middle of the house.

Try a regular pan and mix the litter with dirt (which he is used to)
gradually filtering it all to cat litter. I think if YOU cover it up, he
might eventually realize what to do. You could even put one outside too, to
give him the idea more firmly.

YOu've done a great job and I know others will have more advice. I hope Old
George learns to like the indoors a lot. Poor old guy finally found a good
friend.

Karen