Old March 10th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The little thing's sore on hind leg is back. Depo?

cybercat wrote:
"-L." wrote

The vet thinks she has what he calls a "licky granuloma".

I am pretty sure she said "linear granuloma."

Lick granuloma is a different thing. It's caused from licking a spot
repeatedly - not the same as "linear granuloma" which is bacially a
manifestation of eosinophilic granuloma on the body. You see lick
granulomas in animals that have separation anxiety, are senile, or
those who lick out of boredom.

Thanks, Lyn. I had no idea.

To the OP: never mind.

Seriously, if this is what Lyn describes above, it seems there might be
more of a psychological component to it. Do you think your kitty might
be bored?

....or stressed? I forgot to add that animals that are stressed will
lick. We went through this with our border collie mix, Tosh, when we
moved to San Jose. She would lick her foot at night for hours on end.
She was a worrier by breed and nature (RIP, sweet girl!)

Treatment is similar to EGC, like what you described, Depo-Medrol or
Pred - but vets usually try to find out the stressor and alleviate it
either by environmental or behavioral modification or meds. They will
often put an E-collar on the animal if the granuloma is bad enough, to
keep them from licking.

-L.