Old March 10th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The little thing's sore on hind leg is back. Depo?

"cybercat" wrote in :

"Wilbur Post" wrote in message
know more than my vet.

We can't seem to feed her any cat food other than Purina Pro Plan
Chicken and Rice hard food. She loved Fancy Feast, but thinking she
might be allergic to it, we took her off. She will eat some Iams if
it's mixed

with
some baby food.

They are all different. Gracie did the best on a low-grade flavor of
Fancy Feast called Chopped Grill Feast and Purina One dry. She only
needed two shots a year that year. I switched because I thought maybe
better quality food would be helpful, but may switch back. Good luck!

Thanks for replying. The vet put her on Gentaved and 5 mg/day of
Prednisolone as I wanted to stay away from the shot for two weeks and see
it this works. She does have a sore on both hind legs, however. We've
given her 2 shots of Depo in the last year, and because it involves
taking her away from her home (which aggravates her immensely), I'm
hoping that these medications will do the job. I'll give it two weeks
and see if there's any improvement. If not, back to the depo medrol.
Hopefully, she'll only need it 2-3x a year. Though there may be a
greater risk for diabetes, the alternative is infection if the sores
don't heal and the cats keep licking them.

As far as the food, since she's not eating any canned food and will eat
nothing more than baby food (and Purina Pro Plan hard food), I'm going
back to Fancy Feast, as it seems that wasn't causing the problem.

I'm going to see if taking her off of Purina Pro Plan hard food helps and
going to Iams or some other formulation.

Do these things ever heal on their own so that no shots are no longer
necessary?