Old November 25th 04, 10:53 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Randy W. Sims at
wrote on 11/25/04 4:04 PM:

MacCandace wrote:
That was actually the first thought that popped into my mind too. Just the
right age as well.

Me, too. I don't know about the eye thing but constantly rolling around and
trying to reposition herself and the clear discharge are signs of heat. Is
she
meowing a lot, too?

Ok, now I feel like an idiot. Maybe this is why she seems to
particularly like it right now when I scratch her flanks, and why she
sticks her rear end up in the air while scratching there also. This is
something I hadn't read up on as I didn't expect it to come up. I think
the first thing I'll do tomorrow (everythings closed for Thanksgiving
now) is find some good books. When I got my ferrets, I did all kinds of
research: books, magazines, newsgroups. But I didn't really read up on
cats when I got my Tonk. I guess I was thinking things would be a little
common sense & obvious.

Meanwhile, is there any online reference or can anyone give me any
pointers. Is there anything I should or should not do? She's an indoor
cat and will obviously be remaining indoors for the moment. How long
does it last? I was planning on getting her spayed within the next two
weeks, do I have to wait. With ferrets it's a bit more dangerous when
they're in heat. I've even read that it can be life threatening unless
they couple or are "treated", but I don't seem to recall hearing such
things about cats.

Thanks,
Randy.

You don't really have to do anything (except of course, get her spayed as
soon as you can). The length of it and how often it happens is individual
to the cat. It can try your patience, because they can be very vocal,
incredibly obnoxiously needy and some may even urinate in a "marking" manner
(not a problem I encountered but it can happen.) Mostly, just be patient
with her and get her fixed as soon as is convenient. They will not want to
do it when she is in heat, so you need to catch her off cycle. Good luck.