Old February 16th 04, 10:13 PM
minerva nine

I adopted a feral a few years ago who did the same -- after a few weeks she
finally calmed down, and now loves being an indoor cat. A couple of nights I
had to get up and sit with her so that my husband could sleep (he has to be at
work early in the a.m., whereas I set my own hours). Eventually he will get
used to it -- I would say not to put him in the basement, though, as that may
reinforce the behaviour. If you can, get up and give him some attention when
he's howling -- if not, I'm afraid you'll have to wait him out. At least,
that's how it worked for me. Good luck, let us know how it works out. -- M9

"Ac1977" wrote in message
Need help converting inside/outside cat to inside cat.My sister passed away
recently and she had always allowed her cat to come and go as he pleased (5yr
old neutered male).I brought him to my home and tried to keep him strickly
indoors but he just wanders around howling constantly.Finally(2 days later)

had
to put him in the basement to get some peace but don't want to keep him there
long term.His behaivor is not a suprise as my sister tried to convert him
several times with the same result.Is cold turkey the best way or has anyone
found a better solution.
Al