Old August 10th 03, 06:07 PM
jen.d

the leukemia vac... an acquaintance of mine had 3 indoor cats with no
leukemia vac for the same reason you mentioned. Unfortunately, one got out
and galavanted about the neighborhood for a few days and upon returning,
brought home Fel Leuk with him... and ended up giving it to the other
kitties . I get mine all vacced for this very reason.. just in case!

Glad Natasha is feeling better!

Stacey

Well, I can share many stories from the other side of the fence where the
over-vaccinations have caused the problems and cats get sick, lifelong
health problems, or die. But I don't want to start a debate I strongly
believe it's just about carefully reading about *both*, and choosing "what's
the greatest risk? Potential problems from vaccinations or escaping and
encountering an ill cat". And yes, you're right - there's a risk not
vaccinating, but there is also a risk from vaccinating.

Personally, none of my cats are vaccinated after kittenhood... just in
case!! Even if there was a legal thing here, I wouldn't. I look my vet in
the eye, tell them I've read all about vaccines and have chosen not to do
vaccinate after kittenhood. And after 3 years, I've finally found the first
vet who believes the same as me (in a "western" veterinary, no less).

I fully realize it's a personal decision, and I'm in no position to preach.
I only encourage people to read about the harm vaccinations can do as well
in their decision making, because most vets won't educate you on that. Bad
business decision. I've had the seemingly best, kindest vets adamently
denounce that there's a single problem with vaccinating cats (and there
certainly is, even without opinion getting in the way). IMHO, I find that
atrocious. Therefore, I find personal education is the key, taking into
consideration the age, health, location of your cat as well as their history
of vaccines.

Jen.