Old July 3rd 03, 01:09 PM
PawsForThought

From: Jean

Phil P. wrote:

There's absolutely no benefit in feeding high phosphorus
diets.

Seems like paying the most attention to low carb (better for
the diabetes) and low phos (better for the kidneys) will address both
needs the best - we'll see what he has to say. I really need advice
that's geared to the "whole cat" so that I'm not making one problem
worse or creating a whole new problem while trying to treat only one of
several. Who knows, since the diabetes developed within 3 months of
starting KD, maybe the high carb content even contributed to that.

Hi Jean,
I think it's great that you're researching the best diet for your cat. I think
the quality of the protein you feed is very important. While there are many
conflicting opinions on the phosphorous issue, I don't think anyone is
advocating a high phosphorous diet. I do think while phosphorous is important,
it is also very important to look at the entire diet and to feed a high quality
diet that is fit for a carnivore and that isn't grain based. I think you've
got it right, when seeing the cat as a whole being. That's the main philosphy
of holistic vets.
Best of luck with finding the right diet for your kitty

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe