Old February 17th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Claw clipping question

Chakolate wrote:

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked reluctance to
hold each other down while I trim claws. So how does one person manage a
claw clip on a reluctant cat?

This is a good question - I have the same problem. Roxy will usually let
me get up to one front paw done before she runs off (and I can later get
the other paw), but Smudge starts squirming, meowing and hissing
immediately, so I don't even try with her anymore. And with Licky, who I
think has a bit of the feral in him, it's absolutely out of the question.
One time he saw me clip Roxy's claws, and then I came toward him with
the clippers. He gave me a look that said, "Are you out of your MIND?"
and was then outta there in a flash.

I always hear that it's best to start them getting used to claw clipping
when they're kittens. That's all well and good, but I've got 3 adult cats,
so what do I do now?

I don't consider it urgent, as I don't get scratched very often. Roxy
does the most "damage" to me with her claws, as she loves to knead me
around my neck and collarbone while cuddling, but then she's also the
easiest to clip, so it pretty much works out. Still, it would be nice
to know how to do it successfully, on cats who've grown up unaccustomed
to having that done.

Joyce