Old February 17th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Claw clipping question

On 17 Feb 2006 22:03:51 GMT, Chakolate
wrote:

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked reluctance to
hold each other down while I trim claws. So how does one person manage a
claw clip on a reluctant cat?

I have in the past tried to wrap one in a towel (prewarmed for his
comfort) but I can only manage maybe two claws that way, before the
intrepid feline manages his escape.

My vet, when I told her he was a biter, produced a cloth hood-like thingy
which she said made the cat quiet, but I think that would be even more
stressful. And I'd have to make my own, as I am cash-poor for the
foreseeable future.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has a cat that doesn't object to claw
clipping, well, pbthbththbbtth to you.

Do you have a method I can try? Have you ever used a hood? Help!

TIA,

Chak

Silver isn't happy about having her claws clipped but she'll let you
do it by yourself... I pick her up and lie her in my lap on her back
and put my arm across her chest to reach her paw so she can't wriggle
too much... Scouty won't have a bar of it!
You could try sneaking up on a cat and doing it one paw at a time
while the cat is asleep and in a suitable position. There's no law
that says you have to do all the claws at the same time, you can
rotate... and I never clip the back claws at all - they don't get
nearly as long or as sharp as the front ones.