Old February 18th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Claw clipping question VERY LONG

Of course, your best bet is probably trial and error in finding out
what works best for each of your kitties as an individual. Good luck!
Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

Okay, you asked! I believe Jeanne's 'Tasha must be an unusually
good-natured, sweet cat from description of her claw-clipping.
Also, if I tried doing it here while cats were sleeping, there'd
be casualties involved, meaning me.
Never played football in my life, but being NFL junkie I do
know how, say, a running back carries a football.
First off, you need to wrap cat in a BIG (bath sheet-type)
towel, forget the warming (cats are warm anyway). Leave only
cat's head and whatever paw you want to work on sticking out.
*Hold towel-wrapped cat close to your body and fairly
tight, just like if it was a football*!
Second, you MUST have good light, natural is best, but NOT
outside. Under a skylight or enclosed sunny porch is good.
Work quickly. Talk to cat during whole time. When
beginning, treats might help....I have never given treats.
Holding paw firmly in left fingers (if you're a "righty")
and clippers in right hand, press gently on each claw's
paw end till claw extends out (emerges from paw more
fully) and look carefully (here's where good light needed)
for pink area on paw end of claw. *THIS IS A VEIN*
and you don't want to clip near it's end...firmly holding
clippers, clip claw near but not too near pink area, with
one firm "clip". You want to avoid "shredding" claw but
sometimes this happens....no big deal, it's painless to cat.
DO NOT TRY TO USE DOG CLIPPERS ON CAT!
as they will "shred" cat claws since they were made for
a larger, tougher claw on a different animal.
I do front claws first, then back. Dewclaw is hard to
push out (little claw on inside of paw) but with practice
your cats will get used to the whole business and
tolerate it.
Cats do communicate with each other and are NOT
stupid.....after you are finished with first cat, do not
be amazed to find the other hiding somewhere. No
big deal; you can do him later or another day.
This is long but I'm very good at this and you
obviously need advice. Don't abandon ship; be
patient. Think of the $ you're saving not having
to pay vet fees for this service.