Old February 18th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Claw clipping question

On Fri 17 Feb 2006 05:03:51p, Chakolate wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
. 244.170):

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked
reluctance to hold each other down while I trim claws. So how
does one person manage a claw clip on a reluctant cat?

I have in the past tried to wrap one in a towel (prewarmed for
his comfort) but I can only manage maybe two claws that way,
before the intrepid feline manages his escape.

My vet, when I told her he was a biter, produced a cloth
hood-like thingy which she said made the cat quiet, but I think
that would be even more stressful. And I'd have to make my own,
as I am cash-poor for the foreseeable future.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has a cat that doesn't
object to claw clipping, well, pbthbththbbtth to you.

Do you have a method I can try? Have you ever used a hood?
Help!

I can relate! It's just me and the four cats! Of the four, I can't
clip Bonnie's at all. She's a former feral and I can't even pick
her up. Her claws are only clipped once a year by the vet. The
other three are difficult, but managable. With Shamrock, I put him
on the kitchen counter and he mostly cooperates for the front
claws. I rarely clip the back ones on any of them because they're
just too thick. Vet does those. For Scarlett and Rhett, the
youngest ones who've been with me since they were 9 weeks old, I
clip theirs on my bed. We do cuddles and they get relaxed and I can
usually manage most of them. When any of them get too squirmy, I
just quit and do them another time. Even if you can do 2 or 3 claws
at a sitting, you're making progress. Try not to look at it as an
"all or nothing" endeavor.

--
Cheryl