Old February 18th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Claw clipping question

On Fri 17 Feb 2006 05:49:31p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

I don't consider it urgent, as I don't get scratched very often.
Roxy does the most "damage" to me with her claws, as she loves
to knead me around my neck and collarbone while cuddling, but
then she's also the easiest to clip, so it pretty much works
out. Still, it would be nice to know how to do it successfully,
on cats who've grown up unaccustomed to having that done.

Joyce, you're so lucky it isn't urgent! With Bonnie, it's like
that, because she's docile (for the most part) but with the
others, they injure each other with their claws! I've had two eye
injuries that needed vet care (not MY eyes) from playing too hard
and someone gets a clawed eye. Rhett was the most recent victim,
and surprisingly, I think Bonnie did it.

I also wanted to add something I forgot to mention in my initial
post, and that is to not get freaked out if you accidentally cut
one too short and you see blood. Yes, it's painful, but it's an
accident, and it happens. Good news is that the pain doesn't seem
to last long (think of how much it hurts to break a nail, but the
pain fades). It's good to keep styptic powder in the first-aid kit
for accidents like these.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...188x006&ctt=64

or

http://tinyurl.com/dcbk7