Old November 24th 13, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default Dewclawing Spicey

Christina Websell wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

"Takayuki" wrote in message
Spicey's become tame enough these days that she'll only give me a
firm slap and a growl for my little transgressions, like petting
her.

Today, I had a close enough look at her while we were chatting,
that I noticed something odd about her right paw - a little lump
where I wouldn't expect a lump.

I was a bit concerned, so I *picked her up* (to her protests),
reflexively gave her a head-kiss, then held her close against my
chest so that I could take a look. Spicey squirmed. And growled a
little. But I took a hard look at her paw.

The lump I saw was her dewclaw - and what a dewclaw! It was large
and semicircular, a spiral with no distinct beginning or end.
Instead of a slender needle (like her other dewclaw), a pearlescent
seashell. Uh-oh. Definitely ingrown.

So I'm going to have to make an appointment tomorrow to see if her
claw needs to be surgically removed or what. Poor girl! And I have
no idea how long she's had to walk on that.

Hope it goes well. How any country allows declawing I don't know.
It's illegal almost everywhere. It's time you USA's stopped your
vets from doing it by refusing to use them if they declaw. I can
just imagine if I asked my vet to declaw Boyfie. He'd strike me off
if I even asked.

It seems to me that it's not a good idea to have a cat if you don't
like claws. They come with them.

google about how many countries do declawing

Might have been just the USA.

You mis-understand a medical declaw although I am hoping it can simply
be snipped normally. This is not the same as declawing all toes on a
foot but the potential to remove one abnormal nail that is causing the
cat pain.