Old June 18th 05, 12:32 AM
Candace

Philip wrote:

Because there is MONEY and trust involved. An example has already been
recalled about a trusted person absconding with funds for just such a
rescue.

Yes, and several other examples with happy endings were mentioned. I
participated in one of those where we contributed money for a cat named
Jack to be transported. At that time, we all just called the transport
company with our credit cards which they had agreed to. But I know on
rpca, they do stuff like this regularly and no one gets cheated.
Ideally, I suppose it might be best if we could donate directly to the
shelter but they wouldn't necessarily apply the $$ to Conan and, sorry,
but how can you trust a municipal shelter to distribute the funds where
you want them? Of course, all the kitties deserve to be helped but
most of us contribute locally. Conan is a specific kitty we want to
help.

Recognition for humanitarianism goes a long way toward getting more
donations. Its like putting a few dollars seed money in the hat for others
to see that motivates more people to give. Also helps keep the accountant
honest.

Well, I don't see why it would be an issue to say who contributed if
the person in charge wanted to do that...as long as last names were not
mentioned.

Candace